Saturday, March 13, 2010

Why do drugs when you can get a runner's high?

Today I ran 8+ miles biatches!!!!! It took me just under two hours. And I experienced what I had only experienced on long bike trips: the elusive high.

It didn't kick in until right after the first hour. At first I started feeling like I might bonk, and cursed myself for not having Gu (TM) handy (I'm going to write a whole separate entry on the glories of Gu!) Then I started to notice that the trees got geener, the sky got bluer, and everything just had a quality to it that reminded me of....being stoned!

At this point I really started to enjoy myself. I felt like my legs were running but they were in someone else's body. It was like the combination of a mushroom trip and pot brownies, but I knew when the trip would be ending.

So, next time your dealer comes by with your weekly pot or heroin delivery, slam the door in his or her face and go on an 8 mile run through South Palo Alto. Now THAT's a trip!!!!

Days until half marathon: 15

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Claire! Keep it up! I've heard the runner's high is more effective in countering mood disorders than any anti-depressant on the market and I believe it (too bad it's just so much easier to pop a pill than spend hours in constant motion)!
    I thought of you yesterday morning as I pounded out 15 km (9.3 miles) in 39 degrees (chilly!) on the hills of southwest Portland - the course around OHSU is a bitch! Remarkably (considering my utter lack of hill-training), I managed to complete the race in 1:19:04, which is just under an 8:30 mile pace and faster than I expected this body to move. Thank god we were permitted the use of headphones - I don't think I could have survived without the Kings of Leon's "your sex is on fire" - runners' high or not - to propel me across the finish line!

    ReplyDelete